Sweet Nothing Du Jour: 11/16/12

Opaque Stockings

Figleaves Italian Hosiery Velvet Opaques 50 denier Stockings

I honestly did not know that opaque stockings existed before this year.  Tights, for sure: I live in them in the winter.  Stockings, on the other hand, I’d thought were sheer and sheer only.  NO LONGER: now I can wear my sassy suspender belts and keep my legs warm at the same time.  I bought a two-pack from Figleaves (pictured above), but Julia Lambert just directed me to StockingsHQ, where you can get opaque stockings in a wide range of fun colors!  Both retailers also offer opaque hold-ups, if you prefer those or can’t be bothered with suspenders and garters.  Don’t let the cold cramp your style!

Nylonica Linea Lusso Microfibre 55 Opaque Stockings

10 Comments on Sweet Nothing Du Jour: 11/16/12

1. Erica of A Sophisticated Pair
    November 16, 2012 at 11:11 am (8 years ago)

I didn’t know they had opaque stockings either! Now, I have a question for you though. I love the look of garters/stockings, but I never seem to get to the stockings to stay up. They just slowly stretch down until they’re at my knee. How do you get them to stay up, especially because I imagine you move a lot taking the train/subway?

November 16, 2012 at 11:20 am (8 years ago)

Oooh, that’s a good question. The bad news is that sometimes it depends on the brand, but I do have some suggestions. I always try to get the biggest size I think I’ll need, just to get some extra length. This is especially true of vintage-style nylons, which have less stretch than modern-style stockings, and therefore are less forgiving of fit. Then I make sure the actual suspender belt/girdle/what-have-you is nice and snug and worn around my waist, instead of around my hips. I want to buy a set of garter clips that I can just clip to my knickers and wear on my way, but my suspicion is that my stockings would yank my knickers down as the day goes on. It’s been a trial-and-error process to find the ones that stretch enough to fit my long legs but not so much that they’re saggy by the end of the day. The Figleaves stockings above have a nice wide band that the suspenders clip to, and the band hugs the leg better than some other stockings I’ve worn. I hope that helps! Good luck!

• sophisticatedpair
        November 16, 2012 at 11:23 am (8 years ago)

Thanks for the info! I hadn’t thought of wearing one at the waist, and I’ll see what I can do about the stockings. I actually had a pair of stockings with elastic at the top so you could technically wear them without a garter. They stayed in place fairly well, but they dug into the squishy tissue there and didn’t look the best!

November 16, 2012 at 11:45 am (8 years ago)

Yeah, sometimes I prefer hold-ups, because they just stay up and you don’t have to bother with the clips and things, but then sometimes I feel like a sausage. 🙂 What we suffer for beauty, right?

November 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm (8 years ago)

Aren’t they cute? That website is going to be dangerous for me, I can tell 🙂

2. Mary
    November 27, 2012 at 10:11 am (8 years ago)

Ooh. I want these. I wear black tights pretty much every day (because I am weird and would rather wear a skirt than pants to mop coffee shop floors), and stockings would be even better.

November 27, 2012 at 10:45 am (8 years ago)

I really despise the waistbands in most tights. Stockings/hold-ups all the way! I share your skirts-before-pants predilections whole-heartedly. I will say the Figleaves ones have a bit more of a sheen to them than is my preference, so I’m going to wait and see what Julia Lambert thinks of her order from a different vendor.

3. Holly Jackson
    November 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm (8 years ago)

StockingsHQ is amazing! I bought some great stuff from there that I haven’t managed to pull out of my drawer yet — maybe this will be my inspiration to try the whole stockings thing over the holidays! I only own one pair of pants currently, amazingly.

November 28, 2012 at 9:17 am (8 years ago)

Sweet! I’m glad you can recommend them so highly! And yeah, I have 1 pair of pants: jeans. C’est tout. I should probably work on that.