Once Upon a Time: Swan Lake

Some of y’all know this, but I love ballet. I love it to a borderline obsessive degree. If my body had been on board with my dreams it’s what I’d want to be doing with my life.

One of the things I love most about lingerie is that it can be a way to express parts of you or share things you love in a way that your everyday wardrobe (you know, corporate job/uniform/scrubs/suit/jeans etc.) might not let you. It can also give you a chance to indulge in a little fantasy.

This year I want to handle gift guides a little differently: I’ve created looks from some of my favorite designers’ holiday collections that evoke four of the major Classical story ballets. Each editorial will be followed by a gift guide full of even more beautiful pieces in a wide range of prices and sizes to help you channel your inner ballerina. I hope you enjoy!

*     *     *     *     *

The Sweet Nothings Holiday Edit- Swan Lake. Lingerie by Lulu Tout, Harlow and Fox, photo by Lydia Hudgens, flowers by Mimosa Floral.

Once upon a time, an evil sorcerer transformed a princess into a white swan. She could only become human again by the light of the moon, and only a vow of love, faithful and true, could break the curse.

A prince went hunting on the eve of his birthday and became lost in the woods. He tracked a brilliant white swan across the sky to a vast lake near the sorcerer’s castle. He watched in astonishment as the Swan and her flock were transformed into maidens in the moonlight. The Swan was frightened when she saw him, but the prince cast his bow aside and vowed to break the curse. The Swan asked him to swear an oath of loyalty, and he pledged his troth. As the night faded and the sun rose over the lake, the princess and maidens became swans once more.

The next night, a grand ball was held at the castle in honor of the prince’s birthday. Princesses from distant lands came to meet the prince so that he could choose one of them to be his bride. Last of all came a mysterious woman, dressed all in black, on the arm of a commanding stranger.

The woman looked so much like the Swan that the prince was entranced. They danced together all night long, and at midnight she asked him to pledge his loyalty to her. Believing her to be the Swan, he willingly made the vow, and immediately the sky turned black and thunder crashed. He discovered to his horror that the woman was the sorcerer’s daughter, Odile, in disguise, and that he had betrayed the Swan.

Appalled by what he had done, the prince returned to the lake, as the storm sent waves crashing over the bank. The Swan was grief-stricken, and the prince threw himself at her feet and begged her forgiveness. The sorcerer appeared in triumph, and the prince challenged him to a duel, hoping to break the curse. The enchanter laughed, and revealed that now only death would free the princess from the spell. The Swan saw that all hope was lost and threw herself into the lake, and the prince, distraught and heartbroken, followed her to his death. The sorcerer’s power was broken, and he collapsed, defeated, by the side of the water. The curse was lifted, and the other swans became maidens once more in the light of the rising sun.

*     *     *     *     *

Bra and brief: Amelie by Lulu Tout. Available in sizes 30-34 D-H, 36-38 D-G (UK), 8-18 (UK)
Kimono: Augusta Scarlet by Harlow & Fox (borrowed). Available in sizes Small, Medium, Large
Holdups: Pink bowed holdups by Bluebella (c/o). Available in sizes S-XL.
Raven feather shoulder clips: Hips and Curves (sold out). Similar by Rouge Pony via Etsy.
Photos: Lydia Hudgens Photography
Flowers: Mimosa Floral Design

18 Comments on Once Upon a Time: Swan Lake

1. Angela Friedman
    November 24, 2014 at 9:48 am (4 years ago)

Ok, this is a brilliant idea. And you are simply stunning! What a fabulous photo set and post! <3

November 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Angela! I had so much fun putting it together!

2. Madi
    November 24, 2014 at 10:06 am (4 years ago)

Okay, Sweets, you are just too damn fabulous. I love this post, this idea, everything. So amazing!

November 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much, Madi! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

3. The Lingerie Lesbian
    November 24, 2014 at 12:59 pm (4 years ago)

So so so pretty! I love the colors, they look amazing.

November 24, 2014 at 6:33 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you! And thank you for all of your help with art directing on the day of the shoot!

4. mokesh
    November 24, 2014 at 4:31 pm (4 years ago)

This recap of Swan Lake came just in time- I saw Mathew Bourne’s Swan Lake the other day (for the third time) and was having trouble recalling the original version of the story.

November 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm (4 years ago)

Oh gosh, I LOVE Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake. Some of the NY dance critics get all snippy about it, but I think it’s just so wonderful.

5. Tulip Noire
    November 24, 2014 at 7:20 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t think I could love you anymore sweets! This is phenomenal, I can’t wait for the next set.

November 25, 2014 at 9:41 am (4 years ago)

Thank you so much! I had such a great time putting them together– hope you enjoy!

6. Rachelle
    November 24, 2014 at 10:56 pm (4 years ago)

Beautious! Wonderful pictures dear.

November 25, 2014 at 9:42 am (4 years ago)

Thank you Rachelle! xo

7. Erica of A Sophisticated Pair
    November 25, 2014 at 12:48 pm (4 years ago)

Best. Photoshoot. Ever. Love everything about this, especially your feather shoulder caps! 🙂

November 25, 2014 at 2:00 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Erica! I bought them during Hips & Curves’ Halloween season, and I had to keep them hidden because Gus wants to eat them very, very much.

8. jessa
    November 27, 2014 at 9:29 am (4 years ago)

Oh my goodness! Is that the Lulu Tout set? Figleaves should be paying you, it looks so amazing styled like that!

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the movie Black Swan?

November 27, 2014 at 9:35 am (4 years ago)

Hi Jessa! It is indeed the Lulu Tout Amelie– it was actually a last-minute substitute for a piece that didn’t arrive in time for the shoot, and I was so, so happy with it, really could NOT be more pleased. I love the fit, I love the look, and it’s a great price! I wondered if Black Swan was going to come up 🙂 I think it’s pretty clear that the film isn’t really about ballet, per se, but more about psychosis, and I thought it was really well done– I had nightmares the night after I saw it, so mission accomplished, film makers? It was very creepy and really well executed, but I’m not sure I ever need to see it again, you know? I really liked how the score was a creepified version of the Tchaikovsky score– if you were familiar with the music it added this element of suspense to each scene, because you knew when the music was going to change and that meant something was going to happen on screen and you just had to watch through your fingers and it was like a horror movie and GAH. What did you think?

9. Leanna at Harlow & Fox
    November 29, 2014 at 10:58 am (4 years ago)

This is just so, so beautiful, and so perfectly done! Absolutely love it, and thank you so much for including the Augusta robe. Cannot wait to see the rest of the series!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Once Upon a Time: Swan Lake

1. […] Auf dem US-amerikanischen Blog Sweet Nothings gab es vor wenigen Tagen eine der schönsten Lingerie-Bilderserien, die ich bislang gesehen habe. In ihrem Beitrag hat die Bloggerin ihre Liebe zum Ballett mit ihrer Leidenschaft für Lingerie verbunden, eine wirklich sehenswerte Idee! // Link […]