DIY: Hershey’s Kiss-mas Trees (yes, I hate myself for that pun)

I’m terrible about actually caring for my Christmas tree once it’s decorated, so I tend to wait until about halfway through December before hauling it home, so that it’s still alive come Christmas morning. I am not immune, however, to the abrupt and violent onslaught of Holiday Cheer NOW!!!! that erupts after Thanksgiving, so while my internet was down YET AGAIN, TIME WARNER, JEEZ, I HAVE UNDERWEAR TO BLOG ABOUT this weekend, I put my King’s College Cambridge Christmas Carols on shuffle and got out my glue gun, like a baller. Behold!

20121127-113012.jpg

There is a blurry white cat with a stripey tail in this picture, FYI.

Yes, I stole this craft 100% from my mother, who made these for various holidays and gift-giving opportunities throughout my childhood. Hershey’s helps us out by offering seasonal colors, so there’s nothing to stop us from making Halloween trees and Easter trees and 4th of July trees and, well, you follow me. To business!

This is a very half-hearted DIY, but it’s also so insanely simple that I think you’ll do just fine. Get a styrofoam tree form from a craft store or florist (mine are from Michael’s). Cover your work surface and plug in your glue gun. Dab a dot of hot glue on the tree form. Stick on a Hershey’s Kiss. Repeat. You’re done!

20121127-234504.jpg

Tiny tree is adorable.

I find it best to start at my top and work my way down, adding Kisses in rings. You will need about a billion more Hershey’s Kisses and about a hundred more glue sticks than you think you’ll need. Sorry, it just feels like that. I like to make multiple sizes of trees, and the larger ones definitely require lots of supplies, so those big “economy” bags are the way to go. Although how did these empty Kiss wrappers get all over the floor?

20121127-234512.jpg

Tiny tree hangs out with some candles.

You can also make a “mistletoe” kissing ball, just swap out the trees for styrofoam balls, run a thin wire through the center, stick little sprigs of fake mistletoe in amongst the Kisses, top with a bow, and hang near your front door. Plant kisses on unsuspecting callers. Repeat.

20121127-234524.jpg

How to steal a Hershey’s Kiss.

The added beauty of these is that you can slowly steal Kisses off them without making it look like a candy-devouring monster attacked your holiday decorations. Just gently tug the little flag out of the wrapper, and the Kiss will tumble out with it. If you are extra sneaky, you can follow in young Sweets’ and Julia Lambert’s footsteps and sort of tap the wrapper back into place, as though No, You Weren’t Just Stealing Hershey’s Kisses Before Bed, Whatever Do You Mean, Mom?

20121127-234531.jpg

It’s like nothing happened! Sort of.

18 Comments on DIY: Hershey’s Kiss-mas Trees (yes, I hate myself for that pun)

1. June
    November 28, 2012 at 9:32 am (7 years ago)

Cute! My problem is that I have a feeling in my house this tree would last seconds…

November 28, 2012 at 9:33 am (7 years ago)

Yes, it can be . . . problematic. πŸ˜‰

November 28, 2012 at 10:14 am (7 years ago)

Thanks! They’re really fun to make.

2. scokee
    November 28, 2012 at 10:32 am (7 years ago)

I had no idea you all try to hide you consumption of Hershey kisses.

November 28, 2012 at 10:34 am (7 years ago)

That’s cuz we had mad skillz, yo.

3. thelingerielesbian
    November 28, 2012 at 11:42 am (7 years ago)

Now I just need to figure out how to make a hershey’s kiss menorah… #craftyjewproblems

4. windiegardie
    November 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm (7 years ago)

I AM SO DOING THIS.

But I will use Hersheys Hugs instead, because I find them deliciouser πŸ˜›

November 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm (7 years ago)

Um, YUM. That sounds like an excellent plan.

5. Fussy Busty
    November 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm (7 years ago)

Interesting and cute! Does the foil stick nicely to the foam? I wonder if you could cover the foam with a porous ribbon (yes I’m making this complicated) and then use pins of some kind to stick the kisses to the tree? Yep. I’m crazy.

But I really love this! And it would not last around my chocaholic husband.

November 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm (7 years ago)

Yeah, the foil sticks really nicely! There is no chocolate-to-foam contact, if that was a worry. If you tug the little flag that says “Kisses” on it, the chocolate will get tugged out of the wrapper, leaving the foil behind. So even though you’re presumably snacking on this thing throughout the month of December, come Christmas morning it will still look all red and green and festive. Does that make sense? And did it answer your question? The ribbon might be really pretty, since it would cover up the gaps in the kisses where the green foam pokes through.

6. The Mrs
    January 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm (7 years ago)

Funny, I did this for Christmas gifts this year and stole this craft 100% from my mother as well! I taped a little card to a toothpick and stuck that on the top of the tree saying:
    “Merry Christmas kisses and Happy New Year wishes,
    with love from The ___________’s,
    Mr. and Mrs.”
    Thought it fitting since we just got married!

January 4, 2013 at 6:12 pm (7 years ago)

What a lovely gift! And yes, our mothers are kindred craft spirits. πŸ˜‰

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY: Hershey’s Kiss-mas Trees (yes, I hate myself for that pun)

1. […] And because I am a DYI kind of girl, I loved Sweets post of the DIY Kiss-Mas Trees….Β  […]

2. […] us know how yours looks and what you find works best! Thanks to Sweet Nothings NYC for the […]